So ivyeyed tagged me, and now I have to post 5 things about myself, then tag 10 of my favorite blogs to do the same. (The meme says favorite, but I’m going to tag ten folks I know who I think might do the meme. No favoritism implied. No pressure if you don’t feel like doing the thing, and if you’re not tagged but you feel like doing this then GO RIGHT AHEAD, and also I probably think you’re great even if I didn’t tag you.)
1. I come from a family line of geeks and nerds. I go home to Atlanta for Dragoncon more reliably than for Thanksgiving, and my whole immediate family goes to the con. (Then we split up, because we have fairly different interests within geekdom.) My dad took me to my first con when I was just 6 or 7, and our family copy of The Lord of the Rings that he read aloud when I was a kid is the collector’s edition with faux-leather and embossed Elven runs that frankly looks a lot fancier then the family Bible. My paternal grandad was a journalist, and because he was doing his paper’s book reviews at the time when Lord of the Rings came out he was one of the first people in the US outside of the publisher to read it. (He gave it a favorable review.)
2. I’ve visited ten countries outside of the US (in order from most recent to longest ago): the UK, Ireland, France, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Honduras, Japan, Canada, and Costa Rica. South Africa was for a semester abroad during college, so I spent five months there.
3. When I was about 12 or 13, my middle school participated in a thing NASA was doing where kids got to talk to astronauts on the Space Shuttle via radio and ask them questions. I asked what NASA was doing to get more women and people of color as astronauts. Takeaway points: (a) voices from outer space really did talk to me, and (b) 12 year old me was a pretty good predictor in current me in a lot of ways.
4. I find telephone calls to be inexplicably difficult and scary. Even for calls to good friends it takes me ages to psyche myself up to dial.
5. My name is only a few letters off from the name of a fairly popular romance novelist, so if you google my name almost all the hits are about her. The amusing thing is that she writes humorous romances with supernatural elements, which is exactly the sort of thing I’d write if I ever for some reason wrote a romance novel.
Well, that was unnecessarily verbose of me. Anyway, I nominate argyle4eva, timemachineyeah, kaydeefalls, mysticalchildisis, tartanfics, awkwardoscar, jaclynhyde, urbanhymnal, thatworldinverted, and allison-cumberbatch.
hmmmm yeah, tumblr would celebrate Aviation Day, marking barely over a century of human flight when birds had been flying for millions of years before the Wright brothers. never forget.
Tumblr hereby recognizes the accomplishments of birds.
Insects have been flying for over 325 million years, far longer than birds. Stop the erasure of invertebrates’ accomplishments!